Apr 12, 2017

Novoland: Castle in the Sky Review


A fantasy world where people are split into two different species. Humans and Winged People.
(This is the topic of rant #1. If you say winged people I'm going to be looking out for wings! It's sad when I can count on my hand the number of times they showed us "wings" ╬ Ò ‸ Ó)

Before this show, I have never watched a fantasy Chinese drama and to be honest I didn’t really want to watch one. The only reason I decided to watch this show was that there was romance, Mydramalist gave it an 8.0 and I was bored.

Yeah, apparently I wasn't as bored as I originally thought 

Damn false boredom. It made me waste 8 hours of my life on this show.

To be honest I don’t even know how to review this show because I only understood the first 10 episodes. After that, I felt as if I fell in a hole and couldn’t escape. Nothing was making sense, plot cliches wouldn’t stop appearing, people kept dying, evil people were being forgiven, and I was losing my mind. ╬ಠ益ಠ

The Romance

Was it worth it? GODS NO! This romance didn’t stand out from any other wuxia romance. All the cliches were there:
  • Bad love triangle
  • Making stupid choices because of love
  • Making too many sacrifices for love
  • Stupid Chicks

The main girl flip-flopped so much! For a while she would be in love with one guy, then she would fall in love with the other, and the feelings just kept switching. It was to the point where I didn’t care who she ended up with (if anyone). I just wanted the torture to stop! ( ≧Д≦)
For the first time in history, I actually pitied the main guy. 
I mean this man was going to hell and back in order to protect the main female and save their relationship. He really loved her and sacrificed a lot to be with her. (⌯˃̶᷄ ﹏ ˂̶᷄⌯)゚
At the beginning, she was similar, because of the trials she went through, but you know how that works. 
You love them until something better comes along. •̀.̫•́✧

The plot

It seemed to be straight forward. Save the girl. Save the world.
But of course, it’s never that simple.
I don’t when the plot started to go crazy. Maybe around episode 3? The story diverted and the plot went somewhere else. It just frustrates me thinking about it (*`益´*)
I had such a hard time following the story and trying to figure out what exactly was happening to each character. 
Instead of following the center plot, all the main characters seemed to be following their own storylines.
Sometimes I had no clue how their situations tied into the main plot or if it even mattered.
Another problem I had was with the past (in this case the events that occurred before the story began). It had such a large impact on the story, but it's never fully explained. Yeah, they show flashbacks but its kind of sporadic and I was still left with questions.(☉_☉)
The father's disastrous relationship with the queen was the main problem. She kept trying to kill him, he kept running, she killed his wife, he went into hiding yet they still love each other? Maybe? I don’t know, their relationship was too complicated and I cringed every time they were on screen.

Look how pretty the scenery and characters are!

Overall?

I’m not a big fan of Wuxia’s. I have watched
many but so far only a few have left a good impression on me. The stories usually take place in these great places, have awesome action scenes, and costumes but the plot is a little hard to follow (I've noticed some people read the novels before they watch the show. Maybe that helps) After this show, I’ll be taking a mini break from watching Wuxia’s. Sometimes you have to watch these shows in moderation, or else you’ll become frustrated.

Would I re-watch? No. I love how cute Zhang Ruo Yun looks, but I’d rather just watch him in Dr. Qin Medical Examiner.

He looks good here also!
Would I Recommend?  I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone, except for those who really love the fantasy and the wuxia genre. The stunts and costumes were great but the story fell short and the characters were lacking. As a female who was expecting to find a decent love story, this was just disappointing. 

Wuxia's with great love stories: 

Post a Comment